Ville Platte, LA asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: We are moving to Maryland and my fiancé is currently going to court ordered classes and has another court date in June.

Can my fiancé either get the case dropped or have his classes transferred up to Maryland when we move in about 6 weeks? He was arrested and charged with domestic abuse battery due to a simple argument/fight that got out of control with his little brother who we were taking care of at the time and their mother also moved in with us as well in the house we were renting. No one wanted charges put on anyone, we just wanted his brother and mom to leave since they were not on the lease with us and we had a 6-7 month old at the time. Police arrested my fiancé anyways even though he didn’t start the fight and just asked for them to leave. We are moving and buying a house in Maryland but he has to attend classes for anger and has a court date in the end of June and our only way up there is when we have to help my grandparents move there. what can I do to get the charges dropped or transferred? We basically have to move because the place his dad lets us stay in isn’t the best for our family

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your fiance can contact Probation and Parole to get his class transferred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.