Austin, TX asked in Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: An ex-girlfriend is making allegations that I had sexual relations with one of her friends which is completely false.

She harasses me by phone and leaves threatening voicemails with lots of profanity. I have not made any attempts to make contact with her. Should I?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Who cares if you had sex with her friend? That isn't illegal. If you don't want anything to do with her then you should probably just block her on your phone and on social media.

If it becomes unbearable then you could call law enforcement on the non-emergency number and ask for them to investigate her for "Harassment" and "Stalking." However, it would be helpful to check out the definitions of those chrimes before calling the cops.... they are both defined in chapter 42 of the Texas Penal Code.

If it gets to the point where you are prety sure it meets the definition of Stalking then you can contact the office of the County Attorney and ask them to help you apply for a Stalking Protective Order. You could hire a private attorney instead of using a government attorney, but then you would need to pay the legal fees. Most people would rather save thousands of dollars but some people use a private attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.