Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Hi, my question is, what can be done to aid someone in federal prison whom was approved for released early under the FSA

But during the BOP release process, the state of SC put a hold on him but did not specify the reasoning. I have since found where he & 21 others were indicted in 2018 for conspiracy.

Even though he qualifies for early release he can not be as long as there is a hold for that charge & will have to serve his full sentence / max out in 2022. Is there anything that can be done to assist him is resolving this matter so he can go home to his family? Thank you so much for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The best thing for this person to do is file a form with the prison where he is currently being held under the interstate agreement on detainers. This will force the State of SC to start the process of bringing him back for trial on the state matter. If the state fails to do so within a certain period of time the State will not be able to proceed on the charges. You can search online for form BP-A0236.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.