Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Can I do anything about anonymous gifts and fear of escalation?

I was groomed & basically manipulate into a relationship with a man twice my age. I was 19 when we met, he was 39. This was about 2 years ago & he's still trying to get in contact with me, mainly through gifts, beginning within the last few months. Sending flowers to my house/leaving them on my car. I received an Amazon package at my home a few days ago. The only issue is he's doing this anonymously. But I KNOW it's him. I have lots of verbal evidence that he is obsessed with me & I don't believe he's mentally stable. I don't feel like there's anything I can do about it legally but I'm scared of him escalating. Is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: First send him an email, Facebook message and letter by certified mail to cease all contact with you at home, work or school by social media, email, phone, text or in person.

The next time he contacts you, file a criminal stalking complaint and file a protective order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.