Blue Springs, MO asked in Estate Planning, Immigration Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Missouri

Q: father died in the middle of a divorce to a woman in South Africa who abandoned her citizenship. Her name was on deed &

She wants to sell the home because she is broke. I live in the home my father owned with her. Do I have any rights to keeping the home? She in her divorce papers and in emails states she had no interest in the property and my father was keeping the property. Is there any law that protects me as his son and as a US citizen to fight for rights to this home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: My condolences for your father's passing. Unfortunately, this is more of an Estate/Probate and/or family law attorney question than immigration. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.