Suitland, MD asked in Sexual Harassment for Maryland

Q: What do i do if my girlfriend is getting sexually harassed by her ex

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are not the one suffering damages or wrongs in this scenario; you're girlfriend is. Therefore, it is up to your girlfriend to take action. If her ex-boyfriend's behavior is criminal, she can file criminal charges. If his behavior otherwise meets the definition of harassment, stalking, or assault, she can file a petition for an order of protection from domestic violence. If her ex is her employer or supervisor at work, she can retain the services of an employment lawyer and sue the employer for sexual harassment in the workplace (hostile work environment). If you have personally witnessed any of the wrongful acts of her ex against her, you can be called to testify as a witness. Other than that, you have no role to play, beyond being her boyfriend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.