Desoto, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: am I wrong for being scared to allow my child around his father due to inconsistency, aggression, and initially drugs?

I had my son 2017. His father and I were in a relationship. It ended a month after he was born due to him cheating. My son remained in my custody. He came to see him about 3 times before he disappeared for 4-5 months. I tried to contact him in the process and was not able to do so. His mother informed me he was a completely different person & to not allow my son to go with him alone because he was on drugs and she couldn’t confirm if it was just marijuana or not. He called once during the disappearance & I asked him to bring diapers & he didn’t contact me for 3 days he was arrested in route due to marijuana possession. Months later he called wanting to pick my son up & due to his inconsistency I said no. We had an argument over the phone and he threatened to put a hit on me. He came to the child’s birthday party the day after and tried to hit my friend. Ever since then I’ve only allowed him to see him once due to me being scared of how he would react I’m any moment. This has been 4yrs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You are not wrong to be scared. However, if there is ever a court proceeding regarding custody and visitation that you can document all the things you are saying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.