Bakersfield, CA asked in Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: What happens if a person is out on bond for assault family violence charge and got a failure to appear warrent?

My fiance just bailed out on an assault family violence charge and now he has a failure to appear warrent. And possibly other pending charges,. He also moved states while on bond

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I'm not 100% clear on what you are asking but I notice that this question is asked from California about Texas law. Moving out of state is not necessarily a violation of bond. It depends on the conditions of bond. There are some conditions required by the judge and other conditons that are part of your contract with the bail bonding company. If you are not clear on the conditions of your specific bond then ask your attorney and bail bondsman.

For example, I live in Austin and have represented people who got arrested for family/dating violence when they were just in town for an event like SXSW or ACL Live. Many of those were from out of state and their bonds didn't prevent them going home between court dates. I have had other clients with bonds that require them to stay not only in Texas, but in Travis County. Bottom line is that it is easy enough to read the bond conditions and the bonding contract that you just shouldn't assume... it is important to know and understand your bond.

Actually, one thing that is safe to assume about ALL bonds is that they require you to obey the law. Failure to appear on a different case is technically a violation of the law (i.e. Violation of Promise to Appear) but I'm not sure if a judge would forfeit a jail release bond over something like that which could be a minor oversight... especially if you took care of the problem soon after finding out about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.