Meriden, CT asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: how do I get POA when I live in CT & he in FL. This is for my son he has mental health issues and asked me Dawn

My son has not left his room since 15 and is going on 26 this year. He cannot express himself, severe anxiety and panic disorder since 15, Causing high BP at age 20. Type one diabetic, rare blood clot disorder, scoliosis, chronic back pain, now knee and shoulder issues. I am helping him to get Medicaid in Florida and possibly disability. He asked if I can do this for him, since I know more than any of the doctors know. Only because he cant verbalize. I don't think his mind has developed like a normal 25 year old. Would appreciate any advice

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is really a wills and estate planning issue. What you can do is contact an estate planning attorney in Florida and ask for assistance in drafting the POA document. If your son is not competent to understand and execute such document, then you may need to consider a guardianship proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.