Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: my dad is abusive and keeps me from my mom when I’m supposed to see her what is the fastest way to get out the house

I live in Georgia I’m seventeen years old . My dad has primary custody of me and my mom is allowed to see me but my dad has kept me from her for years , my dad is physically abusive . I was wondering what would happen if I left to my moms house without parent permission. I seen an answer that said another lawyer had worked for 31 years & only two emancipation have been accept . I have a job , do good in school , have no criminal record and could live with my mom . How would this work ? Any advice?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Hello. I was the attorney who wrote the answer you read. Actually, what I said was that I had h-e-a-r-d of only 2 emancipations in my 31 years of practice. It is an extremely hard thing to accomplish. For example, it you were to explain to a judge what your plan of living is (like you explained it here in your questions), you would likely be denied because to be emancipated you would have to have a place of your own where you would live. Living with your Mother would dispute that you had the ability to actually live on your own. Part of being on your own is having your own place to live. You may certainly pursue emancipation. Believe it or not, I am not trying to discourage you. Instead, I am just trying to present a more accurate description of the challenges you will face.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.