Montclair, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: So If wife is a no show, to court and ignores the subpoena, will they drop the case? Since they don't have a victim.

In Other words what usually happens

when there's no victim? All they have in this case, is text pictures. Same Case Misdemeanor off annoying/threatening phone calls in Rancho Cucamonga?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the prosecution doesn't have a victim in court at the time of trial (and no transcript of her testimony at a Preliminary Hearing), they will be unable to proceed, as the Constitutional right to confront and cross examine your accuser would be violated otherwise.

The DA could dismiss the case; Dismiss and refile once (if a serious felony);or Continue the trial and issue a warrant for the victim if they have proof of service of a subpoena. It depends on the particular DAs or their policy in your jurisdiction.

While a person must honor a subpoena that's been properly served or suffer the consequences, no court can imprison, put in custody or confine the victim of a domestic violence crime for contempt for refusing to testify concerning that crime under California

Code of Civil Procedure section 1219

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.