Asked in Land Use & Zoning

Q: In the process of replacing a broken fence putting it back into it original spot the neighbor gives me a stop work

We're not on her property and everything was being put back into its original holes can she give me a stop notice

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI

A: Depends on the State, potentially also depends on the municipality or home owners agreements. Depends on how long the old fence was in place. And depends on any other agreements in the past, or recorded, that might modify your ability to remove and replace an old fence.

Let's say its straight common law, unmodified in your locality. Then in that case, you are probably fine placing a substantially similar fence in the exact same spot. Boundary disputes are expensive and common. Odds are you will save yourself headache, worry, and a much larger sum of money by reaching out to a lawyer in your area to learn about the position you're in, rather than trying to go it alone. You might also at a good position to just ask your neighbor where she would like the fence, you might be ok with it too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.