Newtown Square, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: I am a senior citizen with no immediate family in the area & want to get a will, beneficiary, living trust for property

Since I have no family and on a limited income; I want to make my best friend my beneficiary & once everything is liquidated; she will delegate certain amounts to charities & people that I want to leave a little something to. Also, can I have a backup beneficiary since we're always together & just in case something happens to both of us? I'm not familiar with the process but want to be able to donate to those who have helped me, without the state taking everything I have worked all my life for. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You are on the right path, and the things you are wanting to do are do-able. An experienced estate planning attorney can help you see this through. Most likely you are going to want to create a revocable trust with a will just in case. I would also recommend a general durable power of attorney and a medical power of attorney along with a living will or advance directive and possibly other things like a personal care plan and a dementia directive. If you are really serious about preserving your legacy, an irrevocable trust might also be in the mix.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.