Elizabethtown, KY asked in Family Law and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: If you are behind in child support and are incarcerated. Is there a time limit that you serve before it’s dismissed?

The child is already over 18. Only in jail for child support arrears. Can I serve a certain amount of time for the case to be dismissed completely and the back child support to stop? Or after serving time is it still going to be the amount till it all gets paid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes. 6 months of serving for contempt; 12 months of serving on a misdemeanor nonsupport and 5 years if you’re serving on a felony nonsupport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.