Anaheim, CA asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: If I reported sexual harassment to my HR and she sent me back to the office to work with him can I sue for distress?

I live in California. I reported him and had video proof of him taking up skirt photos of me. instead of sending me to a separate room or home she sent me back to office where we were only a few feet apart. I hid under my desk because I was afraid to face him and wasn’t sure if HR was going to speak with him right away or not.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answer to your question depends on what happened after you were sent back to work in the same room. If no further harassment occurred, there is likely no violation of the law. The employer does not have to transfer or terminate an employee accused of harassment if the employer can prevent further harassment from occurring.

Now, if this employee engages in any form of retaliation or further harassment, immediately report it to HR. If they then fail to take all reasonable measures to protect you from further harassment, it would be wise for you to locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law offer a free or low-charge consultation and then if the matter has merit and sufficient value, they work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

Good luck to you.

William John Light agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.