Milton, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Ex brother in laws dogs were left at property for extended amounts of time he wont get them

So my ex brother in law has left his dogs on my property for a year I have tried to contact him about getting them, he wont answer, I can no longer take care of them due to scheduling with jobs and it cost too much to have them surrendered. What legal action can i take to have him get his dogs? Or to legally get them into a better household without him coming for me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Send him a letter with proof of delivery confirming that he no longer wants the dogs. Give him a certain amount of time to respond to you in writing (such as 7 days), and state you will assume the failure to respond in writing means he no longer wants them. Then you have court-ready proof on where he stands on ownership. If he responds that he still wants to own the dogs, but also wants you to continue to care for them, then demand he pay you for boarding the dogs from day one. Check out professional dog boarders in your area for their daily rates and demand the same for your services. (Here in South Fla., rates are in the range of about $25-50/day.) If he refuses to pay, sue him, and that could trigger some good results. If, however, he responds that he is giving up ownership, then the dogs are yours, and you'd need to talk to shelters and dog adoption groups about taking them in, and/or put an ad in the paper or on-line for free dogs. I've never heard of having to pay a shelter or a dog adoption group to take your dogs. Whatever you do, do not abandon the dogs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.