Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arizona

Q: Would there be original paperwork, including papers that were served upon defendant, signed documents, etc… on file at

The court if one party is claiming the other signed and relinquished their rights of a child and they were granted full custody??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: We'd need more information, particularly what relinquishing means. When people typically mention "relinquishing" they can mean one of two things:

1. A parent severed all rights to the child, including that they would no longer be legally recognized as the parent of the the child. This is a termination of rights. To be effective, it needs to be filed with the juvenile court system. Juvenile court records are not generally public records.

2. A parent gave up custodial rights to the child. This does not need to be filed with the Court, but if it has been, the custodial issues of legal decision-making and parenting cannot be modified for one year (with some exceptions). These are public records, but they are only available online to parties and their attorneys and only if they are using Maricopa County's Electronic Court Records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.