Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: My Fiancé is being held against her will at her parents house. They won’t let her out. What can we do?

My Fiancé from Florida (21) wasn't allowed to leave on a trip with me. Her parents didn’t let her go we called the police but her father knew the officers. Could a lawyer get her out of the house safely? They tried to get her baker acted but she doesn’t fulfill the criteria as she is mentally healthy.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, schedule a consultation with a lawyer. If she is mentally competent, she may not be held against her will, even by her parents. On the other hand, bear in mind that, because she's an adult, her parents have absolutely no obligation to help her, financially or otherwise. So if she walks, she must understand it is at the risk of losing their help - and if the parents wish, their entire relationship.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.