Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: My Fiancé is being held against her will at her parents house. They won’t let her out. What can we do?

My Fiancé from Florida (21) wasn't allowed to leave on a trip with me. Her parents didn’t let her go we called the police but her father knew the officers. Could a lawyer get her out of the house safely? They tried to get her baker acted but she doesn’t fulfill the criteria as she is mentally healthy.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, schedule a consultation with a lawyer. If she is mentally competent, she may not be held against her will, even by her parents. On the other hand, bear in mind that, because she's an adult, her parents have absolutely no obligation to help her, financially or otherwise. So if she walks, she must understand it is at the risk of losing their help - and if the parents wish, their entire relationship.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer