Douglas, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: How do I file a contempt of court order against the other party? Do I go to the courthouse or can I do it online?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your question makes it sound as if you already have the court order. Only Courts (Judges) may sign Orders. Did a judge sign an order for you? I can't think so. If that had happened it would already be filed. So....... you will first need to file an application for citation of contempt and explain to the court why you believe the other party is in contempt. Please note that the rules are very specific as to how and why contempt findings are made. You will likely experience a much better result (and not be ordered to pay someone's attorneys fees) if you have your own attorney do this for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.