Fremont, CA asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for California

Q: What are the options to work and stay in the country apart from H1B Visa?

I am international student and currently on F1 Visa. I have substantial degrees Bachelor's, Post Graduate from India have completed my MS Marketing in the U.S and soon will be conferred with MBA in U.S. I have 20 years of work experience with 3.5 years (OPT/CPT - 40 HOURS) within U.S. I am looking for suggestion to convert my F1 VISA to Green Card or other visa that can allow me to work and stay in the country. My employer is not supportive and somehow didn't get selected in the 1st lottery of H1B this year. Therefore, I will need suggestions that can help me getting ways to be in the country. I am also willing to discuss my case upon getting feedback and suggestions from experts

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: The decision in the 1990s not to make permanent, the 200,000 visa cap pretty much created the professional work visa mess of the 2000s.

Most will find the road to seeking a work visa cost ineffective. There may be other visa options for some, but not for others.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.