Augusta, GA asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: Do you intervenors have a right to continue case of defendant kills himself.

Modification of custody filed in District in which I was divorced two hours away from where me and my daughter currently live. Defendants parents intervened & got his visitation. Defendant killed himself. I still have to drive and pick up my daughter from her grandparents four hours round-trip every other weekend. I have other children that need my attention and I also work real estate which makes Me picking up my daughter interfere with work (can’t do Sunday open house). She never lived with grandparents and they never provided financially for her. I allowed visitation with grandparents before they intervened. What’s my next move?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Meet with a family law attorney to map out your course going forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.