Lockhart, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Can the city change a private road to a public street against homeowners' desires?

We do not want our private road made a public street. Can the city override our desires when we homeowners on the road have titles/deeds saying we each own 1/4 interest in the road and easement and no changes, alterations or modifications can be done to the road or easement without our written consent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leroy Scott
Leroy Scott
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, the city can do that, but it has to provide just compensation to the private owners. Look up "eminent domain".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.