Los Angeles, CA asked in Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Will I be sued for revealing someone for sending me email with sexual harrasment?

I got an email from stranger with texts that make me sexually insulted. I found this person's facebook account by searching the sender's email. Will I be sued for tagging this person with the screenshot of insulting email I got? Or can I report this person to the police?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the email you received was a criminal act, such as conveying pictures of pornography involving minors, or porn sent to you as a minor, then reporting it to the police would be he best move. If not, simply block the email address as junk mail and move on. Trying to punish or retaliate will really achieve nothing positive, and you run the risk of enraging a crazy, or worse, mistakenly identifying the culprit and facing liability.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.