Hialeah, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: My patner in business said damaging things about my person without proof after i sought to disolve the patnership

He filed his claim after i sought xourt action to disolve the patnership. He never made these claims before and with no proof. Can i countersuit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You seem to be asking if you may countersue your ex-partner for defamation of character strictly for allegations made in a court filing. If that's your question, the answer is no. Allegations made in a court proceeding (a pleading or hearing) are cloaked with immunity from defamation claims. The reason is that, if it were to be otherwise, people would be unduly hesitant to seek court relief.

HOWEVER, there are other remedies for the filing of frivolous allegations. One of those remedies is found in Florida Statutes Section 57.105, which enables you to seek an award of attorney's fees and costs incurred due to the frivolous filing. Under that section, a 21-day warning letter must first be sent to the opposing party to give them the opportunity to withdraw their claim or particular allegation(s) before your side files a 57.105 motion. Another remedy is to sue that party for malicious prosecution, which you may do after prevailing in the initial lawsuit. Now, if that party has defamed your character OUTSIDE of a court proceeding, then you may have a potential claim that can be filed now. There is a two-year statute of limitations for such claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.