Baldwin Park, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Consumer Law for California

Q: Can a dealership sell me a car with no title and had me pay to have smog passed fraudulently?

I bought a used car from a dealership 6 months ago. I received the temporary registration application from dealer and registration application says I need to get the car smogged. I go to a local smog check and the car fails due to the Cadillac converter being tampered with(serial #’s were removed) so I contact dealership and they tell me that I needed to go to a specific smog check referred by them. So I go to the referred smog place and the guy says it’s going to cost me $600 to pass since I took it to a place already and it failed. At this point I’m confused and very frustrated, I pay the $600 and got the smog check passed. It was a very shady experience and I know this dealer and smog are committing fraud. So I take the passed smog check to the dmv and they tell me I cannot register car because the title is missing and now insurance company says they do not have title and are trying to contact previous owner of car to get it. So they sold me a car with no title and no smog. Help?!

1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: no, a dealer cannot sell you a vehicle without having title or having it smogged. You need to speak with an auto fraud attorney that will review all your paperwork and facts in detail and go over your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.