Oakland, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: My parents living trust was sent back to them from the recorders office stating it was too dark to read. What do I do ?

5 things were checked off in the box for them to fix before the trust can be filed and the entire package was completed and signed when the agent was present. I don't know who to contact , can you explain to me who I can contact to help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A lawyer would need to know why you are trying to record the trust because that isn’t the normal procedure. Does the County Assessor want to see the trust g(as opposed to the County Recorder)? Most estate planning lawyers should be able to help you with administering the trust (assuming your parents have passed away.) Contact an estate planning lawyer for assistance. If a lawyer already told you that the trust needs to be recorded, perhaps taking the trust to a photocopy shop like Staples to have a lighter copy made, then giving the Recorder BOTH the original document and a copy that’s easier to read. Recorders want the original documents. Hope that helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.