West, TX asked in Family Law and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Do I need a lawyer to file a restraining order? Residential issues

Harassment and death threats. I'm getting nowhere attempting to file order for my safety of myself and children. Also i have a home in my name that my ex and her husband has been living in for over 6 years that keeps me from moving forward in my Life. A case is filed with KPD and i have heard nothing in over a week. Ont the orders i keep getting told by Kilgore to File in Longview and Longveiw sends me to Kilgore as far as restraining orders go. I do know he has a current case pending by another for the same reason. The detective is Goodson. I still await my case no. and a detective to contact me. One at a time please the most urgent is the orders to stay away from me and my children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Sometimes the office of the District Attorney in the county where you live will agree to do the legal work of filing an application for a family violence protective order. If that happens, you won't have to pay for attorney's fees because the D.A.'s office is on the government payroll. Also, if the crime of Harassment occurs on multiple occasions you may be eligible to apply for a stalking protective order. You can hire a private attorney to do this work if you don't want to use the D.A.'s office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.