Cookeville, TN asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee

Q: What are options and likely outcome for violation of Tennessee "Move over Law"?

I was issued a citation under the Move over Law. Situation was: I stopped before turning right from a side street into the right hand lane of a state highway (2 lanes in my direction of travel, speed limit 65). About 300 yards from the corner I'd just turned was an emergency vehicle, pulled over to the shoulder of the road with lights activated. As I was just pulling out from a fully stopped position I was travelling much slower than other traffic so didn't merge left. I remained significantly under the limit, probably travelling at 40-50 MPH. After I passed the police vehicle, it pulled out onto the highway, activated sirens and pulled me over. Officer asked me if there was a justifiable reason for failing to move over. I said no, not having had time to collect my thoughts and articulate myself. He issued the citation. No amount to pay shown. He told me I must attend court. Can it can be diverted to traffic school? What options to avoid conviction as it may affect immigration status.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That sounds like a violation. It is a Class B Misdemeanor and LEO's take that Rule of the Road very seriously. Hire your immigration lawyer to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.