Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury

Q: My son broke his arm on a bouncy thing his school rented for the day when it toppled over. Do we have a claim?

My son's school rented inflatable bouncy equipment for the kids to jump on. One of them included a slide and an area to climb up to reach the top of the slide. While my son was on the top of it about to slide down, the entire thing, which was more than one story high, tipped over onto its side throwing my son off. His arm broke and he needed a cast for 3 weeks. Do we have a claim against the school? The company they rented the equipment from? His arm healed just fine, but he was in quite a bit of pain at first, and even worse than the pain was the emotional trauma he experienced.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry this happened, but am happy to hear that your son's arm is healing well. Yes, you could have a case. As a starting point, you could reach out to injury attorneys in the state where this took place (a state is not mentioned in the description) to discuss the accident in further detail. Most attorneys who handle such cases offer free initial consults. It could be advisable to move without delay to preserve any video footage that might be available before the footage is recorded over. If you retain an attorney, that's one of the first things they'd explore in conducting a preliminary investigation. Good luck to you and your family in putting the accident behind, and to your son for a healthy recovery.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.