Centreville, MD asked in Probate for Florida

Q: My grandfather passed 2 mo/ago. I amlisted in his will. The lawyer has only had my grandfathers mail forwarded to him.

The lawyer has made no other efforts to locate any assets. Should he be doing more? I feel a little uneasy about the whole process. Especially if he does not locate the assets, what exactly am I paying him for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The Florida Probate Attorney is there to help and guide, the main job is to get you named as the Personal Representative (PR) of the estate so that you can seek out assets via the Will, mail, personal records and files in deceased person's home and so forth. While the attorney can assist and advise and the level of extra guidance, help and hands on search you reference may vary from law office to law office, it usually and generally falls to you as the named Personal Representative of the Estate and or hiring an asset search company. You usually can find any additional assets through review of the mail and or speaking to the deceased person's financial institutions once named PR of the estate. I would further advise, these questions should be directed to your hired probate attorney on what has been discovered, what can and will be done or should be done and what they advise should be done in this probate case and the circumstances of this case. Any advice you would get here is too much guessing as we do not have all the details and facts.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.