Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: I'm a 16 year old wanting to go through a process of emancipation from my parents. Is this difficult to achieve?

I have a job, car, and can prove self-efficient.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not have emancipation for your situation. Here is more information at this link:

It is normal for teens to want to escape their parents' rules. But parents are legally responsible for children until they turn 18, when they can leave and then rent their own place, buy health insurance, car insurance, etc. If there are problems at home, talk to your parents or another family member, a teacher, or school counselor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.