Riverview, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My ex refuses to respond to anything unless it benefits them, not our 15 year old daughter.

I told them in August 2020 that we had a vacation planned in July 2021. It was a week long, and I asked them to switch their one day in the middle of our family vacation and they never answer me. My daughter has told them that she going and they laugh at her. Then our custody agreement states the parent taking custody is required to handle the transportation. We will be 9 hours away still within the state, I have asked them to switch their days as neither of us get a solid week in our parenting agreement. My daughter has been hysterical thinking she won’t be able to go on our family vacation. I already made accommodations and paid for plane tickets and still crickets. They have a history of not responding but I’ve never not complied. If they don’t let me take her on our trip, they would require me to for go 6 of my days or lose the $4000 spent on our family trip. Not sure what to do..because of this same pattern in the past, I haven’t been able to take her on a real family vacation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Since there are only about two weeks left in July, it appears that it may be too late for you to ask the court to order a change to the shared custody arrangement. Next time seek a court order months in advance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.