Los Angeles, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Do I have to take my child home to their mom if I have to pay child support- Does it establish custody?

I am paying child support and have been considered present less that 10% of the time. However, my child’s mother does not want to give my child to me. She only drops her off when convenient and will not give her to me even on my days off. Instead she drops them off at a caretaker and says my child will not stay with me. I would like my child to sleep over on the weekends. Do I have to give them to their mom if I don’t want to?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sounds like you are paying support without any enforceable court orders regarding custody. If you want custodial time with your child, you need to petition the court for those orders. Otherwise, Mom can pretty much do whatever she wants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.