Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: Do you work with non employment issues?? My 18 yr daughter with disabilities was discriminated against at Otapharma.

They turned her away because she didn't have her social security and address memorized and claimed it was fda policy. We looked in to it before I allowed her to do it. She wanted to do it with her brother. But I knew they were looking for a reason when they pulled me to the back and asked me questions. They guy kept hesitating. I think he thought I put her up to it. But she is well aware of what's going on. So I tried to reassure him. All they had to do was be nice and talk to her. She's just shy. They made her feel incompetent. For the 1st time I let her be independent I handed her her ssn card. She came back with the look of shame. I asked her what's wrong and she said, "they want me to remember this. I have 5 minutes can you help me mom?" I said of course but what that had nothing to do with this. I went to the counter to ask and the lady lectered me about how important it is for her to know that. I said yes I know but she's barley 18. I said I don't see anywhere. There's more.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Insufficient information provided. What is Otapharma? I've never heard of it and my Google search turned up all kinds of stuff, but nothing that gave me a clue as to what kind of place you are talking about. I saw something referencing an Indian company having to do with making plasma.

In order to give you good advice, any lawyer will need you to tell your story from beginning to end, who did what, to whom, when, where and how did it happen. Name the witnesses, good and bad, and what they each did or said in detail.

Having said that, other than embarassment, what damage was suffered? Were any services denied your daughter? What's the nature of her disability? Was she hurt in any way as a result of what happened? All these questions and many more need to be answered if you are going to get some reasonable advice which might help you.

The best thing I can suggest you do is find an attorney in your county who handles discrimination cases, and ask her all the questions you have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.