Slidell, LA asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Is it possible they dismiss the domestic violence case or drop charges against my husband if I (the victim) was drunk?

My husband went to jail after I call the cops on him after a discussion. We were drinking (I drank A LOT) and we started discussing and I push him so he started defending himself. I got some almost invisible bruises but I don't even remember if it was from him but I said in the declaration that it was him and also said that he was chocking me but now I think it wasn't true. He went to jail charged with a misdemeanor, then he hired a lawyer. It has been 6 months since that happened, they haven't let me drop charges. He was charged before for the same thing but they dismissed the case. We are together, I want to drop charges and know what can happen the next court day. What can I say, how can I drop charges, how do I don't incriminate myself but also don't say anything against him, and also, is it possible that they send him back to jail?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Talk to HIS lawyer who can call you to testify that you were drunk, that you pushed him down that for all you know the bruises were from being falling down drunk.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.