Asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: Child support and threats to harm if I go through court.

Was in an abusive relation for 22 years. August 2018, finally left. Agreed on $200 wk child support (even though he makes a lot of $ & I was stay @home mom.) By Sept, I hadn’t received anything from him. Filed paperwork through court. He found out & freaked out. He sent text msgs saying he’ll “end me” “destroy my life” “ruin his life just to destroy mine” “will quit his job to make sure I nvr receive a penny” and on and on. Very intimated by him (and afraid) I didn’t proceed w/the paperwork.

He did, however, start paying me. But he would skip weeks when he felt like it…there is $11k he hadn’t paid me.

When I moved into new place I explained he had to pay consistently; if I was going 2 be able to afford rent. He promised. Last month he only paid $200 (1wk)

My question, is there anything I can do? Technically there was no court order, just his written promise. I did start court process, but stopped due to his threats to end me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you need a lawyer...............NOW.

preserve the messages, so you can present them to the court.

you want the court to make an order.

Most of us on the DV or Criminal section do not do family law.

I would encourage you to get a local lawyer or contact Legal Aid etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.