Tempe, AZ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arizona

Q: If both parents can agree that one of the parents should have sole custody. Can I just get something notarized?

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: It really depends on where you are in the case. If no orders have ever been made, I would file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Legal Decision-making, Parenting Time, and Child Support, as you need to file a Petition to start a case.

Then it's a matter of filling out a Parenting Plan, having both of you sign it in front of a notary, and submitting to the Court for the judge's approval.

If you already have orders, you can just submitted the updated and completed Parenting Plan for the judge's signature.

Mike Branum agrees with this answer

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you cannot afford an attorney, I recommend you carefully read and follow the instructions at https://superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/family/divorce-proceedings/.