Venice, CA asked in Personal Injury, Business Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: Should I include motion to serve statement of damages in my motion to serve summons and complaint by alternative method

I am a plaintiff in pro per in a civil lawsuit in California and defendants have being evading service of process.

I sued the corporations and its owners individually as I intend to lift the corporate veil to hold them personally liable.

First they dissolved the company in May 2019 after the incident that brought about this lawsuit, but the company still operates till date.

I have made over 25 attempts to serve defendants through their designated agents of service of process and personally at their respective places of residence via the Sheriff and private process servers, but all to no avail, they have being evading service.

I am drafting a motion for leave to serve summons and complaint on defendants by substituted and/or alternative service. Should I also include in the motion, leave to serve 'statement of damages' on defendants through substituted and/or alternative method ?

Thank You For Your Answer!

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are many reasons why you would need to serve a Statement of Damages. It's not easy to answer your question in this forum without more information but I suggest that if one is required then you might as well serve it without the complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.