Norwich, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Hi! I’m 16 and I was wondering if I would win in an emancipation case?

My parents told me I could leave and let me leave the house and I went to my uncles house because that was the only place I could’ve thought of. And I’ve been living here for about 3 to 4 months. I have a job at McDonald’s and I buy my own stuff. My uncle is planning to move somewhere else and I need to switch schools but I can’t because my parents didn’t let me take my paperwork. So the only choice I have is to get emancipated, and I’ve been worrying if I even have a chance to win the emancipation case… please help if you can, I’d really appreciate it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Go to the probate court in your town and file the papers for emancipation. The clerk will help you but she/he can not give you legal advice. So long as you are managing your own financial affairs (working and paying for your own stuff) you have a chance at getting the court's approval. However, there are no guarantees. If your uncle will apply for temporary guardianship, he can do so at the same probate court and maybe your parents will just agree. He can then help take care of where you go to school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.