Belleville, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: I rent from my parents. Can they move someone else in and tell me either deal with it or leave?

My partner and I have rented from my parents since March. No lease, but an informal list of expectations was sent via facebook messenger. My mother decided that my sister and her boyfriend could move in earlier this momth, and that if I have a problem I could move out. I cannot afford to move out; and my sister's boyfriend is causing me to have daily anxiety attacks because they fight almost constantly slamming doors/cabinets, screaming at each other, and stomping through the house with no consideration for time of day; earlier this week I was woken up at 2:30am to the boyfriend shouting my name in a tone I perceived as malicious, followed by my sister pounding on my door in obvious fear asking if she could stay with me that night. Prior to their move in, my partner and I had use of the entire 2500+ sq ft house; now we are confined to a 400 sq ft in-law suite, and expected to pay, or contribute to general maintenance, the same dollar amount each month.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Ravenna, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In short, yes they can. You are free to negotiate a new lease agreement with them taking the change into consideration, but it is their house. If additional issues arise and you are unable to stay there, you can try to argue constructive eviction, but that can be difficult. For a detailed analysis of your situation, I suggest sitting down with a landlord/tenant attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.