Jupiter, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: Do I need to get my ex's permission to move to another country with my child?

My ex doesn't have physical custody and lives in another country. My kids and I live in Florida. If it won't affect our custody arrangement and they don't even live nearby (8,000 miles away), do I really need my ex's permission? Our marital settlement also says we shall be free from interference as if we're unmarried and each may reside at a place or places they select without harm or bother from the other. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Obviously from your statement you have a long distance parenting plan. You say that the relocation will not change the other parent's timesharing in any way so why don't you just tell them that you are moving? Relocation is about notice also, not just permission. The permission comes from the court, not your ex. So if in fact the relocation will not change the timesharing in any way then there should be no valid legal objection to your moving.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.