Jupiter, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: What if our long distance parenting plan doesn’t have a relocation section, any mention or specification?

I’m looking to move out of the country with my child. We currently live in Florida. I’ve asked my ex who lives 7,000 miles away if they’ll agree to it. They are being a bit difficult. However, our agreement has no section specifying anything about relocation. How do I know if I really need their permission or the court’s? We have shared parental responsibility but it doesn’t mention relocation but does say major things like school, medical and the like. In addition, because we have to go to them for visitation, this won’t affect their visitation rights in any way. In fact, we’ll be closer and on a better time zone in relation to theirs for better Skype access.

Additionally, what is meant by temporary educational purpose in the statue? One of the main reasons we’re going is for better education and as of now, we don’t plan to live there permanently but it will be for 1.5-2years and of course longer if it works out well. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are probably going to need court approval to take the child out of the U.S. One reason you ex is being difficult is that, should you not return the child when agreed, international litigation is likely to be very costly. Also, you should be aware that, last time i checked, you will need both parents' permission to get a U.S. passport for the child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.