Jackson, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: If a landlord sells a property, and the tenant is allowed to stay, can they collect their original security deposit?

I purchased a home in NC from a property management company. The house is rented and I’m allowing the tenant to stay. She informed me that the previous landlord will not return her security deposit. She is elderly and doesn’t seem able to navigate this issue herself. I’d like to know what rights she has to collect her original security deposit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The security deposit should have followed the lease, and since you purchased it subject to the lease then they should have transferred it to you. I would pursue it with the management company and demand that they turn over the deposit to you.

Even if that is not the case they have 30 days from the end of their lease to give written notice of why they are keeping the security deposit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.