Pleasantville, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: My lease is up 9/30/2021. Notified landlord regarding habitability issues. Withheld l months rent. He started evictio

He started eviction proceedings against me. Can he evict me? Never had proper heating or cooling system that worked. I have on-going certified documentation requesting repairs of heating and cooling system. As a response, he is summoning me to court for non-payment of rent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Make sure you attend the court hearing and be prepared to pay the rent you've withheld. At the Court hearing prior to go before the judge there will most likely be a mediation. Tell the mediator about the problems. Also be sure to ask the town whether the apartment has been listed as required by statute. If the landlord has not, advise the Court. The Court will dismiss the case. Did the landlord have the unit inspected by the town prior to your occupancy and provide you with a smoke detector certification from the municipality? If not advise the cort of this fact.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.