Cumming, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I rented a condo for 6 yrs and paid a 2,400 security deposit, the landlord has not returned anything. what should I do?

Location: NJ

City: Bridgewater

My landlord told me that he had to replace the carpet and the shelving in the kitchen. Since I had rented the condo for 6 years and the carpet was 1 and a 1/2 year old when I moved in, how do I get my money back? I was expecting atleast half the amount. My landlord didn't even reach out to me, when I called him he said he will not return my money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Retain an attorney to file suit. If you win you will receive double your money and more importantly, the Landl ord will be charged with paying your attorney fees. NJ Courts are very strict about enforcing tenant security laws.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.