New Orleans, LA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Divorced a year, got along great. Got in a new relationship and all civility went out the window. She threatens court.

Got along great with ex. So much so she moved across the street. We have 50/50. I got a girlfriend around Christmas and now she is bitter and cold. Always bashing me on social media. Flew our kid from FL to CA for 3 days to see her bf without permission when she was supposed to be in KY with family. Suddenly started smoking weed and cigarettes. I am clean as a whistle and always have been. Don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. She is the "fun parent" and I am the responsible one. I handle all school, doctor, and dentist related stuff. She doesn't even know our pediatricians name. Our childs teacher can tell a difference in her when she stays with mom. She barely saw mom from June 2020 until November 2020. Child use to scream when she had to go to moms. Now she wants to sleep there because they cosleep and I make her sleep in her room. With all the bashing and lying she has done lately I am worried about her trying to take me back to court. Do I wait, or strike first?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The only lawyer who could possibly help you is the lawyer who handled your side of the divorce, because s/he was successful in getting you to 50/50.

From my own personal experience the best any father of a female child can expect is 50/50, which is where you are. So why rock the boat if it will not get you any closer to the dock?

Strategy: Keep you focus on your daughter. Ask her questions (do not interrogate) when she comes back from moms. Keep copious notes; write down ever nasty incident; keep in constant touch with the child's teachers (they will be great witnesses if needed); resist the temptation to act out when the mother angers you. Re-hire your lawyer, but do not start the next round.

1 user found this answer helpful