Haddonfield, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: How do I handle a landlord that is unresponsive and not doing my service requests?

I am having an issue with my current landlord. There has been water damage in my apartment for over a year now, in 2+ rooms. I have been communicating with the landlord since last year on how to get this issue resolved, little-to-no response from them. As a result of the water damage, I have an infestation of mosquitoes, midges, gnats, and other insects. As someone who has severe allergies, and asthma, it does not feel fair to be living here and paying almost $1100/month. I work remotely, full-time, so being in the apartment basically 24/7 is not helping my health. Please let me know what my options are.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Notify, landlord both by certified mail, return receipt requested, and orally in the presence of a third party, that until the repairs are made, the monthly rent will be placed in an escrow account until all requested services are completed. Open an account at a convenient bank, make timely deposits of the rent into the account, i.e. by the first day of each month. There is no self help permitted in NJ. If the landlord wishes yto evict you for non payment of rent, he must file a complaint with the Court. If you make timely monthly payments, the deposits will be shown on the bank statement. You will be able to show this to the mediator and the Judge. Sent a list of services required and dates requested to the landlord as part of the letter indicating the rent shall be paid timely to the account until services/repairs are provided. It is important you make timely deposits into the rentaccount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.