Bradenton, FL asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: My father passed away in July 2018 with a will, leaving my mother as executor. My mother then passed away in December…

She had a will which left me, as their only child, to be executor and recipient of everything she and my father owned. I have taken care of everything including taxes. My father had a pending court case of sorts and it appears he will receive funds as a result which I am told will go to his estate. I have become the succeeding executor now of his will. My question is in order for me to receive these funds will I now need to open a new estate banking account? Will I need to get an EIN number for him to do that ? And then if I have an EIN number don’t I have to file a tax return for his estate? I have been told that the funds that are coming from this court case will be tax free. Any advice is appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Speak to a CPA!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.