Asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I live in DK, when I marry my fiancé in US, his in prison in TX, how can I go and live there now or when he gets out?

I’m a 41 year old woman from Denmark. I’m on early retirement do to fibromyalgia. I have a 6 year old daughter, she doesn’t see her father and I have full custody. I’m engaged to an inmate in TX. I have visited him a few times, and talk regularly with his family, and we plan a life together. But how can my daughter and I go and live in the TX? We can’t speak on the phone because I live abroad, and I can only visit him once or twice a year, so we have talked about me moving there, so I can visit him regularly and we can talk on the phone, but can I do that? Or what about when he gets out, how can my daughter and I go and live with him?

I can take my monthly disability payment with me to the US. I’ll get about 2400 us dollars a month and 225 dollars a month in child support.

My fiancé and his family lives in Jacksonville Texas.

And can he, when we get married adopt my daughter? And will that make a difference on our situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Your questions would be best answered by doing a consultation with an immigration attorney. There are many that offer free phone consultations (can be done via Whats App or Messenger call). You can find an attorney through websites such as, or Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.