Toledo, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Live in Ohio want to move back to TN where my mom and my kids grandma is (my mom). My husband and I may be separating.

Wanted to know if I can do this without his consent and it not be held against me or legal action be brought upon me. He has physically abused me in the past and recently threatened to.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Don't do anything until talking to a local divorce attorney. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain one. If you go to TN, he could file for divorce here in OH, the OH court would have jurisdiction, and could require you to return the children to OH. So talk to a lawyer who can review all the facts and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.